ACTION ALERT: Your Feedback & Comments Will Help Guide MHSA Programs, Policies & Spending
Please review the MHSA Update documents (see below), submit your individual feedback comments, and save the date for the pubic hearing:
MHSA Fiscal Year 2019/2020 Annual Update Available for Public Review
Once a year we are given this vital opportunity to make our voices heard about local MHSA (Mental Health Services Act, aka “the Millionaire’s Tax”) policies, programs, and spending. The County Department of Mental Health (DMH) and the County Mental Health Commission (MHC) won’t know what we need until we tell them. Listening to our voices is a legal obligation for both DMH and the MHC under the MHSA statutes.
All of us are frustrated by the many gaps in services:
- lack of treatment beds
- lack of supports for the housed
- lack of housing and supportive housing
- long wait times for residential placements
- lack of supports for medication and treatment compliance
- arbitrary and inappropriate obstacles to family involvement
- incarceration for behaviors driven by untreated mental illnesses
- poor conditions at board and cares and other residential facilities
- difficulty finding and keeping accessible services in your local community
- long wait times for first and follow up appointments at DMH run and contracted clinics
- difficulty getting acute care, let alone sufficient acute care, for ourselves or our loved ones
- absence of essential supports for the vital inclusion of the family: family involvement in treatment plans, family based caregiving, healthy family functioning, and treatment for the family member’s trauma. (All of which are vital to recovery for our family members with mental illnesses).
All of this and more is why your individual comments and feedback to on MHSA planning and spending are so important. Unlike, most DMH employees, you live with the results of the systems problems and shortcomings on a daily basis. So submit your written comments by 3/24 and share them at the MHC’s public hearing on 3/28/19.
Review the Update Documents & Submit Your Comments before 3/24/19
The Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health (LACDMH) is opening a Public Review and Comment period for the Mental Health Services Act (MHSA) Fiscal Year 2019/2020 Annual Update (pdf).
The public is invited to review this plan and provide written feedback through March 24, 2019. You can provide your feedback by:
- filling out our online survey here
- emailing email@example.com,
- direct mail to Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health, 550 S. Vermont Ave, 12th Floor Executive Suite, Los Angeles, CA 90020.
Save the Date: 3/28/19, Public Hearing on 2019-20 MHSA Update
Following this comment period, the Mental Health Commission will hold a Public Hearing: MHSA Annual Update FY 2019-2020 (see flyer below). Los Angeles County residents are invited to attend this hearing to provide feedback about the Annual Update.