NAMI Glendale offers an array of education courses for individuals coping with their own mental illness, as well as for their family members, caregivers, partners/spouses, and friends. Subscribe to our mailing list to get regular updates about upcoming classes, or contact our Education Coordinator Sylvia Gil at email@example.com
UPCOMING CLASS SCHEDULE:
Beginning Thursday, May 14 virtually via Zoom. Applications are still being accepted–click here to complete it
Scroll down the page for more information on all of NAMI’s education classes!
NAMI Family-to-Family is a free, 8-session educational program for family, significant others and friends of people living with mental illness. It is a designated evidenced-based program. Research shows that the program significantly improves the coping and problem-solving abilities of the people closest to an individual living with a mental health condition.NAMI Family-to-Family is taught by NAMI-trained family members who have been there, and includes presentations, discussion and interactive exercises.
What You’ll Gain
NAMI Family-to-Family not only provides critical information and strategies for taking care of the person you love, but you’ll also find out that you’re not alone. Recovery is a journey, and there is hope.
The group setting of NAMI Family-to-Family provides mutual support and shared positive impact—you can experience compassion and reinforcement from people who understand your situation. You can also help others through your own experience. In the program, you’ll learn about:
- How to manage crises, solve problems and communicate effectively
- Taking care of yourself and managing your stress
- Developing the confidence and stamina to provide support with compassion
- Finding and using local supports and services
- Up-to-date information on mental health conditions and how they affect the brain
- Current treatments, including evidence-based therapies, medications and side effects
- The impact of mental illness on the entire family
What People are Saying
“Before I took the course, I felt alone and overwhelmed dealing with my daughter’s mental illness. By taking this course, I have met others who are going through the same things I am and have learned about many resources that I never knew existed.”
“I thought my wife and I knew just about everything there is to know about the system and the illness. Boy, were we wrong. Without a doubt, this is the best support course I have had the privilege of taking part in, bar none.”
To participate in our next class, please complete the online registration application below; you can also print the registration form to send in the mail. Once you do, you will be notified when a new class is about to begin.
Click this link to print an offline application for NAMI Family to Family
De Familia a Familia es un programa de 12 sesiones gratuitas para familiares, parejas, amigos, y seres queridos de adultos que viven con una enfermedad mental. El curso esta diseñado para ayudar a toda la familia a entender y apoyar a seres queridos que viven con un trastorno mental, sin descuidar el propio bienestar del círculo familiar. El curso incluye información sobre trastornos mentales como la esquizofrenia, el trastorno bipolar, y la depresión severa entre otros. Miles de familias describen el programa como una experiencia que ha cambiado sus vidas. El programa es liderado por instructores capacitados que también son familiares de adultos que viven con enfermedades mentales y saben, de primera mano, lo que significa tener un ser querido en estas circunstancias. Este programa fue designado como un programa basado en evidencia por SAMHSA.
Perspectivas de los Participantes
“Sin lugar a duda, este curso ha sido la herramienta más útil e informativa que se ha ofrecido en todos los años en los que he buscado respuestas… Me ha ayudado a comunicarme más efectivamente con mi hermano y a entenderlo mejor.”
“Este curso me ha ayudado a darme cuenta que mi hijo aún está dentro de su cuerpo que, muchas veces, está escondido debido a la enfermedad mental con la que vive y que no estoy sola en esto.”
NAMI Peer-to-Peer is a free, 8-session educational program for adults with mental illness who are looking to better understand their condition and journey toward recovery.Taught by a trained team of people who’ve been there, the program includes presentations, discussion and interactive exercises. Everything is confidential, and NAMI never recommends a specific medical therapy or treatment approach.
What You’ll Gain
This in-person group experience provides the opportunity for mutual support and positive impact. You can experience compassion and reinforcement from people who relate to your experiences. Through your participation, you have the opportunity to help others grow. This is a confidential place to learn from shared experiences in an environment of sincere, uncritical acceptance. Recovery is a journey, and there is hope for all people living with mental illness.
NAMI Peer-to-Peer helps you
- Create a personalized relapse prevention plan
- Learn how to interact with health care providers
- Develop confidence for making decisions and reducing stress
- Stay up-to-date on mental health research
- Understand the impact of symptoms on your life
- Access practical resources on how to maintain your journey toward recovery
What People are Saying
“NAMI Peer-to-Peer has allowed me to take the focus off my illness and learn to balance it with the rest of my life. By engaging in recovery I am able to be more relaxed and productive both at work and home.”
“It made me feel I was not alone in coping with mental illness. It gave me hope that I could recover and that my life would not always be filled with chaos, and it gave me positive role models to inspire me to strive for recuperation and success in life.”
- Week One: Mental Health & Recovery
- Week Two: The Brain and the Body
- Week Three: Storytelling: Sharing Our Stories
- Week Four: Strengthening Relationships
- Week Five: Growing Support Networks
- Week Six: Tools for Enhanced Recovery
- Week Seven: My Story, My Strengths
- Week Eight: Moving Forward
NAMI Basics is a free, 6-week education program for parents and family caregivers of children and teens who are experiencing symptoms of a mental illness or whom have already been diagnosed. NAMI Basics is offered in a group setting so you can connect with other people face-to-face.You’ll learn the facts about mental health conditions and how best to support your child at home, at school and when they’re getting medical care. Last year, 99% of participants told us they would recommend the program to other parents.The course is taught by a trained team with lived experience—they know what you’re going through because they’ve been there. The 6-session program provides critical strategies for taking care of your child and learning the ropes of recovery.
What You’ll Gain
At NAMI Basics, you’ll find out that you’re not alone. Recovery is a journey, and there is hope. The group setting of NAMI Basics provides mutual support and shared positive impact—you can experience compassion and reinforcement from people who understand your situation. You also can help others with your own experience.
NAMI Basics covers:
- Managing crises, solving problems and communicating effectively
- How to take care of yourself and handle stress
- Developing the confidence and stamina to support your child with compassion
- Advocating for your child’s rights at school and in health care settings
- Learning about current treatments, including evidence-based therapies, medications and side effects
- Gaining an overview of the public mental health care, school and juvenile justice systems and supporting resources to help you navigate these systems
- Understanding the challenges and impact of mental health conditions on your entire family
Attention teachers: You must receive and accept an invitation to “organize, add, and edit” before you will be able to do anything more than view these documents.