NAMI Education: Classes & Seminars
NAMI Glendale offers an array of education courses for people living with mental illness as well as for their families, friends, loved ones, and supporters. See our latest newsletter for information about upcoming classes or call 213-797-0494.
NAMI Family & Friends
NAMI Family & Friends is a 4-hour seminar that informs and supports people who have loved ones with a mental health condition. Participants learn about diagnoses, treatment, recovery, communication strategies, crisis preparation and NAMI resources. Seminar leaders have personal experience with mental health conditions in their families.
This seminar provides participants with the opportunity to learn about mental health directly from the families of people with a mental health condition. By engaging with peers in discussion about mental health, families and friends realize they’re not alone.
NAMI Family & Friends is designed for family and friends age 18 years or older who have loved ones with a mental illness. Youth ages 14 and older may attend provided they are accompanied by a parent or guardian.
Participants receive an eBook (also available as a manual) (with mental health information and resources. They also receive information regarding programs and services offered by NAMI. The goal of this program is to offer participants practical skills and information to address their immediate concerns.
To register visit https://www.nami.org/Find-Support/NAMI-Programs/NAMI-Family-Friends
NAMI Family-to-Family is a free, 12-session educational program for family, significant others and friends of people living with mental illness. It is a designated evidenced-based program. Research shows that the program significantly improves the coping and problem-solving abilities of the people closest to an individual living with a mental health condition.NAMI Family-to-Family is taught by NAMI-trained family members who have been there, and includes presentations, discussion and interactive exercises.
What You’ll Gain
NAMI Family-to-Family not only provides critical information and strategies for taking care of the person you love, but you’ll also find out that you’re not alone. Recovery is a journey, and there is hope.
The group setting of NAMI Family-to-Family provides mutual support and shared positive impact—you can experience compassion and reinforcement from people who understand your situation. You can also help others through your own experience. In the program, you’ll learn about:
- How to manage crises, solve problems and communicate effectively
- Taking care of yourself and managing your stress
- Developing the confidence and stamina to provide support with compassion
- Finding and using local supports and services
- Up-to-date information on mental health conditions and how they affect the brain
- Current treatments, including evidence-based therapies, medications and side effects
- The impact of mental illness on the entire family
What People are Saying
“Before I took the course, I felt alone and overwhelmed dealing with my daughter’s mental illness. By taking this course, I have met others who are going through the same things I am and have learned about many resources that I never knew existed.”
“I thought my wife and I knew just about everything there is to know about the system and the illness. Boy, were we wrong. Without a doubt, this is the best support course I have had the privilege of taking part in, bar none.”
To participate in our next class, please complete this online application, or to apply offline make a paper copy of this printable application and turn in as directed on the form.
- Para miembros de la familia, parejas y amigos de alguien que vive con una enfermedad mental
- Curso de 12 semanas
De Familia a Familia de NAM es una clase para familias, parejas y amigos de individuos con enfermedades mentales. El curso está diseñado para facilitar una mejor comprensión de la enfermedad mental, aumentar las habilidades de afrontamiento y capacitar a los participantes para convertirse en defensores de los miembros de su familia. Este programa fue designado como un programa basado en evidencia por SAMHSA.
- NAMI Basics is a free, 6-week education program for parents and family caregivers of children and teens who are experiencing symptoms of a mental illness or whom have already been diagnosed. NAMI Basics is offered in a group setting so you can connect with other people face-to-face.You’ll learn the facts about mental health conditions and how best to support your child at home, at school and when they’re getting medical care. Last year, 99% of participants told us they would recommend the program to other parents.The course is taught by a trained team with lived experience—they know what you’re going through because they’ve been there. The 6-session program provides critical strategies for taking care of your child and learning the ropes of recovery.
What You’ll Gain
At NAMI Basics, you’ll find out that you’re not alone. Recovery is a journey, and there is hope. The group setting of NAMI Basics provides mutual support and shared positive impact—you can experience compassion and reinforcement from people who understand your situation. You also can help others with your own experience.
NAMI Basics covers:
- Managing crises, solving problems and communicating effectively
- How to take care of yourself and handle stress
- Developing the confidence and stamina to support your child with compassion
- Advocating for your child’s rights at school and in health care settings
- Learning about current treatments, including evidence-based therapies, medications and side effects
- Gaining an overview of the public mental health care, school and juvenile justice systems and supporting resources to help you navigate these systems
- Understanding the challenges and impact of mental health conditions on your entire family
- NAMI Peer-to-Peer is a free, 10-session educational program for adults with mental illness who are looking to better understand their condition and journey toward recovery.Taught by a trained team of people who’ve been there, the program includes presentations, discussion and interactive exercises. Everything is confidential, and NAMI never recommends a specific medical therapy or treatment approach.
What You’ll Gain
This in-person group experience provides the opportunity for mutual support and positive impact. You can experience compassion and reinforcement from people who relate to your experiences. Through your participation, you have the opportunity to help others grow. This is a confidential place to learn from shared experiences in an environment of sincere, uncritical acceptance. Recovery is a journey, and there is hope for all people living with mental illness.
NAMI Peer-to-Peer helps you:
- Create a personalized relapse prevention plan
- Learn how to interact with health care providers
- Develop confidence for making decisions and reducing stress
- Stay up-to-date on mental health research
- Understand the impact of symptoms on your life
- Access practical resources on how to maintain your journey toward recovery
What People are Saying
“NAMI Peer-to-Peer has allowed me to take the focus off my illness and learn to balance it with the rest of my life. By engaging in recovery I am able to be more relaxed and productive both at work and home.”
“It made me feel I was not alone in coping with mental illness. It gave me hope that I could recover and that my life would not always be filled with chaos, and it gave me positive role models to inspire me to strive for recuperation and success in life.”
Week 1 Welcome and Orientation
Week 2 Consumer Stages of Recovery
Week 3 Mental Illness and the Brain
Week 4 Storytelling
Week 5 Education on Mental Illness
Week 6 Anxiety Disorders
Week 7 Emotions and Urges
Week 8 Suicide and Prevention
Week 9 Family Support
Week 10 Review, Certificates, and Party
Attention Teachers: You must receive and accept an invitation to “organize, add, and edit” before you will be able to do anything more than view these documents.
Be sure to like NAMIGlendale on Facebook.
Follow us and get our latest news and updates.